and Magazine Articles
on the volume titled Mexico
in Transition to find the article “Mexican Immigration” by
questions about “Mexican Immigration and the Latinization
of the United States”
• What are some of the impetuses behind Mexican migration to the US?
• What makes immigration from Mexico unique and important?
• How has Mexican migration changed over the past few decades?
• How is immigration changing the US as we know it? What is Latinization?
of the article “Mexico's
Circle of Misery” by Jorge Castañeda that participants
in the workshop read.
questions about "Mexico's Circle of Misery"
• How does Castañeda describe the economic depression that has hit
• What other social, economic or political problems has this depression
caused or resulted from?
• What major economic and social factor prevents meaningful reform from
• What foreign policy does Castañeda suggest the U.S. adapt in this
period of crisis?
• When did Castañeda write this piece? What important events have
happened in Mexico since then that might change or shape this view?
New Immigrant Tide: A Shuttle Between Worlds:" This
article is the first in the New York Times series Here and
There that examines the ways immigrants keep ties to their
Mexican Town That Transcends All Borders:" In this
third article in the series Here and There, the New York Times
investigates how immigrants from the Mexican pueblo of Chinantla
adapt to life in New York while continuing to exert a strong
influence on their home town.
Immigrants Find a Hard Land" analyzes the unique challenges
facing teenage immigrants arriving alone in the United States.