Degrees and Programs

UC Berkeley Academic Offerings in Latin American Studies 

Latin American Area Studies are available at Berkeley through many disciplinary departments.


Each semester, the Center compiles a list of Latin American-related courses taught on the Berkeley campus. Graduate students may also take courses for credit at Stanford University by participating in the Stanford-Berkeley Exchange Program.

From time to time, CLAS organizes short courses with visiting scholars and professionals about their research and interests. You can find past examples of Special Seminars here.


These degree programs are of particular interest at the bachelor's level:

• The Global Studies Program, which requires students to choose a concentration and a geographic region in which to become an expert, including the Americas. It connects this regional specialization to language training in (1) Global Development; (2) Global Peace and Conflict; or (3) Global Societies and Cultures;
• The Development Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies majors are administered through the International & Area Studies Academic Program;
• The Blum Center minor in Global Poverty and Practice, also administered by IASTP; and
• The Department of Spanish and Portuguese.

There are several graduate programs of specific interest for students pursuing Latin American Studies as part of an M.A. or a Ph.D. including:

• Anthropology (Ph.D.);
City and Regional Planning (Ph.D., M.C.P.);
Development Practice (M.D.P);
Environmental Health Sciences (Ph.D., M.S./Ph.D., M.S.);
Environmental Science, Policy, and Management (Ph.D.);
Ethnic Studies (Ph.D.).;
Folklore (M.A.)
Geography (Ph.D.);
Global Studies (M.A.);
History (Ph.D.);
Journalism (M.J.);
Linguistics (Ph.D.);
Political Science (Ph.D.);
Public Health (M.P.H., Dr.P.H.);
Public Policy (Ph.D., M.P.P.);
Social Welfare (Ph.D., M.S.W., M.S.W/Ph.D.);
Sociology (Ph.D.);
Spanish and Portuguese (Ph.D.).


Students wishing to study at UC Berkeley must be admitted to a degree granting department, school, or program. For graduate school information, contact the UC Berkeley Graduate Division. For Undergraduate admissions, contact the UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions. General admission information is available on the main Berkeley home page. Foreign students may find further assistance at Berkeley International Office.


Through UC Extension, it is possible for a member of the community to take a regular UC Berkeley course under concurrent enrollment. To be accepted in a concurrent course you must meet all prerequisites for the course you choose and obtain the consent of the instructor, the head of the campus department, and, in some cases, the dean of the department's school or college.  You must meet all course requirements, which may mean showing transcripts from previous studies. You must enroll for credit.  Records of your study are maintained by Extensions's Registrar.  Foreign students will need an I-20 Visa and will need to show a TOEFL score.  Contact UC Extension at (510) 642-4111 and ask for concurrent enrollment materials. For more information on Concurrent Enrollment, visit: