National Resource Centers (NRCs) establish, strengthen, and operate language and area studies centers and programs. Emphases include working to expand access and training in major and less commonly taught languages, and enhancing area studies training in all disciplines. As part of the Title VI award, CLAS receives Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) funding for graduate students studying Latin American languages.
NRC Activities at CLAS
- Research and training in Latin American studies
- Offering and supporting courses on Latin American languages
- Offering and supporting courses on Latin American studies
- Outreach activities for K-14 educational instructors and institutions to stregnthen area studies in curricula
- Linkages and partnerships with institutions of higher education and other organizations
- Library collections of Latin Americana
Being designated a National Resource Center marks an organization as one of the nation's premier institutions for teaching and training resources in a particular world area. In addition to CLAS, Berkeley is also home to six additional NRCs, covering African, East Asian, Europen, Middle Eastern, South Asian, and Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.