Do you want to share your academic passions while developing vital teaching and public speaking skills? The ORIAS Speakers Bureau is seeking new speakers to share their academic interests with young audiences.
The ORIAS Speakers Bureau aims to:
- provide students at different stages of their graduate career with transferable public speaking skills,
- train students to translate their research and specialized knowledge for broader audiences,
- bring specialized content knowledge into k-14 classrooms,
- model passionate intellectual engagement for younger students, and
- help k-14 students see connections between curiosity, scholarship, and travel.
Graduate students across disciplines are welcome, but research needs to be based in one of the world regions that is funding new talks this year: East Asia (Institute for East Asian Studies), Latin America (Center for Latin American Studies), or Russian, Eastern Europe, Eurasia (Institute for Slavic, Eastern European, and Eurasian Studies). ORIAS does not focus on the United States and Canada, but if your work is in another world area or multiple world areas, feel free to get in touch.
Speakers will be compensated for creating a polished presentation AND for each time they give their talk to groups of students.
If you think you might be interested in becoming a speaker, please email Shane Carter (ORIAS Program Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see https://orias.berkeley.edu/resources-teachers/orias-speakers-bureau.